Monday, July 9, 2012

First Post and Current WWE Divas

Hello all! This is my first post here on my new blog, "Girls Like Wrestling Too"! I used to have so much fun chatting with people all over the world about my love for professional wrestling on WWE's FanNation site. Then, it was closed down and I lost all those wonderful people. :(  So I thought it was necessary for my sanity to start a blog so I can do that again! :)

 Every day I go to the site Diva Dirt and read post after post from people who actually care about Women's wrestling. As it turns out, there are people out there who REALLY do care. The only thing missing from the wrestling companies today (especially the WWE) is their enthusiasm for their female wrestlers. It frustrates me to no end to know that the Divas are pretty much used as a "time filler". There are some extremely talented and passionate women on that roster who are being wasted!

You could easily say, "Oh it's no big deal, they can just go to TNA". Well, about 4 or 5 years ago, that would've been the case but TNA, in my opinion, has gone downhill since this time 4 years ago. :( Their women do get extra exposure and more airtime but there are more and more of them that some get pushed to the side. Just look at Angelina Love. Very sad. I don't know that we'll see her in the WWE.

Just to go through the WWE roster, let's take a look at the women who can put on a good show...

AJ- Let's start off with the top-Diva-of-the-moment herself, AJ. This pint-sized Diva has stolen the entire show!  She is good on the mic and actually sounds like she knows what she is talking about instead of reading a script which is how I feel any time Kelly Kelly speaks. Also...even though she is small in stature, AJ can wrestle! Her Shining Wizard is flawless. I don’t doubt for one second she can pull out a victory over her larger counterparts. And MAN...can that girl take a bump!!! If you ever watched Florida Championship wrestling during AJ’s time there, Wade Barrett did some commentary for a little while and called AJ a “Pocket Rocket” for her tiny size and ability to fly around the ring. I think it’s perfect. I was a fan of AJ’s in FCW and I’m DEFINITELY a fan now. I can’t wait to see what is in store for her future as a Diva.

Next is the “Glamazon” herself, Beth Phoenix. I understand that Beth has been in the WWE since 2006 and she’s had multiple reigns as champion but to push her to the sidelines is a big mistake. If you want the fans to appreciate the women in a wrestling company, there is no one better to look up to than Beth Phoenix. She is strong, beautiful and one of the best female wrestlers I have ever seen. Beth is great as both heel and face but to me, she fits in best as a heel because of her intimidating size and for goodness sakes, she was the second woman ever to compete in the Royal Rumble!!!!

This also brings me to Natalya. In my opinion, one of the most underutilized talent on the entire roster, male or female. She is not only a third-generation Superstar...she could have so much pull in the fanbase of the WWE. She is part of the Hart family which automatically gets her attention, she has gorgeous looks, and she can put on amazing matches. One of my favorite Natalya matches is Natalya and Beth Phoenix vs Michelle McCool and Layla in a tables, ladders and chairs match at the TLC pay-per-view. All four of those women put on a phenomenal show.

Speaking of Layla...she and Eve are a couple of my favorites for the fact that both came from the WWE Diva Search and both have become amazing wrestlers. I, myself was not a fan of the Diva Search but the fact that these two women came from there and actually worked hard at becoming good competitors makes me appreciate them. To me, Eve is one of the best because she can wrestle and on her own time has earned a blue belt from the Gracie Jiu-Jitsu Academy. She is also good on the mic and has recently been able to draw great heat from the crowd. As for Layla, her current problem is that she gets no crowd reaction. She is the Divas Champion but because the WWE limits the women’s time and gives them virtually no storylines to work with, the fans don’t really care for her. She was doing fantastically with Michelle McCool as “Lay-Cool”. If only the Divas were given more time to wrestle. I mean, come on...30 seconds isn’t going to do anything for anyone.

Two females we haven’t gotten to see too much of are Kaitlyn and Naomi. Both were introduced in the Diva Season of NXT.  My pick to win that season was either Naomi or AJ. Kaitlyn won and we haven’t seen her much on RAW or Smackdown except for a couple times getting slapped by AJ. In the past few months, Kaitlyn has had some really great matches on the only shows Divas are able to shine, WWE Superstars and NXT. Naomi was debuted as one of Brodus Clay’s “Funkadactyls” which is fine because I like Brodus but I hate that Naomi’s wrestling talent isn’t being shown. Hopefully soon we’ll see more of Kaitlyn and Naomi...in matches. Well, maybe if we all cross our fingers? ;)

Last but not least, one of my favorite current Divas is Tamina Snuka, the daughter of WWE Hall of Famer, Jimmy “Superfly” Snuka. At first, she was not too great. You could tell she was still a little iffy about certain moves. More recently she had a very short feud with Beth Phoenix and had a match for the Divas title in a losing effort. Those couple of matches that Beth and Tamina had were some of the best I had seen in a long time and it was so good to see the crowd so into a match, especially one involving the Divas. Why the WWE dropped the feud, I still don’t understand but Tamina is another Diva that the WWE should be looking to.

Alrighty, so this was a little bit longer than I anticipated and if you read all the way to the end...thank you!!! Now I ask you...who is your favorite current WWE Diva?

-Fefe

3 comments:

  1. i like your blog very good i also a huge wrestling fan too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I really need to keep up with this blog more. haha I'm glad you like it!

      Delete
  2. love your blog girl!

    ReplyDelete